Total Pageviews

Monday, August 29, 2011

Gluten Free Chickpea Crepes

I love these crepes and they are so simple to make.  I substitute them for flour tortillas and pita bread.  Sometimes I use them for sandwich wraps.  They only take a few minutes to make.  The amount of water you add varies.   If you want a thicker crepe use less water, if you want a thinner one, use more.   I prefer that they are thinner.  Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing.   The flour I use for this is garbanzo flour - it is pure garbanzon beans that are ground to a flour.   I was buying this flour at Whole Foods and it was a little expensive; I started talking to my Indian friend at work and he told me to buy it at the International or Indian grocery stores.   It is called Besan or gram flour there and is MUCH cheaper and the quality is just as good.  Make sure your non-stick pan is really non-stick or this won't work!  I have a dedicated pan that I only use for pancakes, crepes, or johnny cakes.  Don't be put off by the fact that they are "crepes" - they are easier to make than pancakes!


Chickpea Crepes

1 cup chickpea flour
1 1/4 - 2 cups water
pinch of salt

Combine ingredients in a small bowl.  Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.   Add 1/4 cup mixture to skillet and swirl around to get it to spread out as much as possible.   Cook for approximately 2 minutes and use your spatula to gently loosen the crepe around the edges, flip, and cook for approximately 2 more minutes.   You want the crepes to be lightly browned but not dark brown.   

No comments:

Post a Comment