Here is the original recipe:
Here is my reduced fat version:
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed very well
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 cups hot vegetable broth
- 1/4 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, green parts only, thinly sliced
I do the Kale and Chickpeas a little differently:
- In a medium-sized saucepan, toast the damp quinoa for a few minutes until it begins to dry out. Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the green onions, cover, and cook on low until all the liquid is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. Stir in the green onions and serve hot.
Cosmic Cashew Kale and Chickpeas
- 1 package Mori-Nu light tofu
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon or broth powder
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas (or one 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- 1 bunch kale, central stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- Crumble the tofu, milk, garlic powder, onion powder, bouillion cube, and nutritional yeast into a blender. Blend at highest speed until completely smooth and creamy. Set aside until needed.
- In a large non-stick skillet, cook the onion in a little water until it begins to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and cook for another minute. Add the chickpeas, kale, and two tablespoons water. Cover immediately and reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, until kale is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved cream sauce, oregano, and salt, black pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Cook, stirring, until sauce thickens. If sauce becomes too thick, add a little water to thin. Add the fresh basil just before serving over Confetti Quinoa.